- A Somali Journalist Launches New Effort to Cover Minnesota's Immigrants, Columbia Journalism Review, February 2019.
- Experts in Masculinity Explain Kavanaugh's Anger, Rewire.News, October 2018.
- Iliza Shlesinger May Call Her Comedy 'Evolved,' But Her New Special Suggests Otherwise, Rewire.News, September 2018.
- I Love the Freelance Life, But It's Hurting My Mental Health, New York Magazine's Science of Us, July 2017. Shared by The Week and more.
- Most People Are Ambivalent About Breaking Up Right Before They Do It, New York Magazine's The Cut, August 2017.
- Dogs Are More and More Like Family to Us. Why Do Some Public Places Still Bar Them?, Washington Post, August 2017. Picked up by the Virginian-Pilot, WN.com, and more.
- Are Doctors Underestimating the Pain of IUD Insertion?, SELF.com, October 2017.
on cities + politics
- Minnesota Helps Farmers Stressed From Snow, Low Prices, US News & World Report, March 2019.
- When a Shopping Mall Goes to the Dogs, The Atlantic's CityLab, February 2019.
- What to Do with North Dakota's Only Women's Correctional Facility?, Next City, February 2019.
- North Dakota Reforms Its Prisons, Norwegian Style, US News & World Report, February 2019.
- Amy Klobuchar Rails at 'Shutdowns and Putdowns' in Speech for 2020 Face, The Guardian, February 2019.
- Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar Announces 2020 Run for President, The Guardian, February 2019.
- How Minneapolis Managed a Massive Homeless Encampment, Next City, February 2019.
- Omaha Streetcar Debate Heats Up, Next City, February 2019.
- The Future of Public Housing on the Line in Minneapolis, Next City, December 2018.
- Is North Dakota Really One of the Best States for Women? This Financial Website Seems to Think So, Rewire.News, March 2018.
- Experts Say Voting Laws in the Twin Cities Helped to Usher in Historic Election Results, Rewire.News, November 2017.
- St. Paul Workers Will Rally for Tip Credit Today, Eater Twin Cities, September 2018.
- How One Organization is Standing Up for Tenants in Minneapolis, Rewire.News, October 2017.
on business + economies
- Public Banks Could Help Serve Marijuana Industry, U.S. News & World Report, December 2018.
- Surf Tourism Is a Fun Vacation That's Killing Central American Economies, Pacific Standard, December 2017. Part of JSTOR Daily's Suggested Reading list on January 2, 2018.
- Could Outdoor Tourism Keep Millennials in Appalachia?, Rewire.News, September 2017.
- Keepsakes of a Season: The homegrown ciders of Nate Watters and Tracy Jonkman, The Growler magazine, August 2018.
- Forever Homes for Farm Animals: Sanctuary farms give animals destined for unhappy endings a new lease on life, The Growler magazine, June 2018.
- How The Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport is Building a Local, Equitable Vision for Airport Food, Fast Company, December 2017.
- The Buy-One-Give-One Model Might Make You Feel Good But It Doesn't Make The World Better, Fast Company, November 2015. Named one of the Aspen Institute's Five Best Ideas of the Day on November 18, 2015 and shared on Time.com.
- New St. Paul Restaurant Intends to Build an Answer to Chef Burnout, Eater Twin Cities, February 2018.
- A Camping and Canoeing Guide to Minnesota's Boundary Waters, Fodor's Travel, July 2018.
- 7 Thrilling Border-Crossing Adventures Around the Globe, National Geographic Adventure, January 2018.
- The World's Largest Ice Rink Is Having Trouble Staying Frozen, National Geographic Adventure, February 2018.
- This Freshwater Sport Is Taking on Its Saltwater Sister, National Geographic Adventure, November 2017.
- Hang 10, USA Today's Go Escape print magazine, Winter 2018.
- Winter Waves on Lake Superior, Us of America print magazine, Spring / Summer 2017.
- Paul Hlina's Thru-Hike, REI Co-Op Journal, October 2017.
- Social Design and Neocolonialism, Design and Culture 6.3, November 2014. Cited in The Stanford Social Innovation Review and The Plan Journal among others.
- The Citizen Designer: A Cautionary Note, Developing Citizen Designers, February 2016. Listed on Design Observer's Required Reading for 2017 and reviewed on Dialectic.