on social justice + innovation
- Experts Say Voting Laws in the Twin Cities Helped to Usher in Historic Election Results, Rewire, November 2017.
- How One Organization Is Standing Up For Tenants In Minneapolis, Rewire, October 2017.
- Could Outdoor Tourism Keep Millennials in Appalachia?, Rewire, September 2017.
- The Buy-One-Give-One Model Might Make You Feel Good But It Doesn't Make The World Better, Fast Company, November 2015. Named one of the Aspen Institute's Five Best Ideas of the Day on November 18, 2015 and shared on Time.com.
- Designing an Exit Strategy, Impact Design Hub, July 2016. Shared by SDG Philanthropy, January 2017.
- Ethics, Power, and Innovation: Development Engineering and the Market Economy, Impact Design Hub, February 2017. Shared by USAID's Global Dev Lab.
- Designers Don't Always Have the Answers: Keeping Our Work Grounded in Communities, GOOD.is magazine, April 2013.
- Put Down the Post-Its: We Need to Define What 'Innovation' Really Means, GOOD.is magazine, March 2013.
on travel + destinations
- Hang 10, USA Today's Go Escape print magazine, Winter 2018.
- This Freshwater Sport is Taking on Its Saltwater Sister, National Geographic, November 2017.
- Winter Waves on Lake Superior, Us of America print magazine [page 156], Spring / Summer 2017.
- Paul Hlina's Thru-Hike, REI Co-Op Journal, October 2017.
- Where to Eat Around the Steven's Square and Loring Park, Eater Twin Cities, September 2017.
- Tattersall, Hi-Lo, Jack Riebel and More Opening at the Airport, Eater Twin Cities, September 2017.
- 7 Days in the Grand Canyon State: The Ultimate Arizona Road Trip, Sierra Club for RootsRated, July 2016.
- She Explores, Brit+Co, January 2016.
on health, wellness, + fitness
- I Love the Freelance Life, But It's Hurting My Mental Health, New York Magazine's Science of Us, July 2017. Shared by The Week and more.
- Are Doctors Underestimating the Pain of IUD Insertion?, SELF.com, October 2017.
- Most People Are Ambivalent About Breaking Up Right Before They Do It, New York Magazine's The Cut, August 2017.
- Is Wheat Bread Really Healthier Than White Bread? According To A New Study, It Depends On Your Gut, Rodale's Organic Life, November 2017.
- Do You Have Social Jet Lag? How Your Weekend Sleep Routine Affects Your Health, Rodale's Organic Life, September 2017.
- Social Design and Neocolonialism, Design and Culture 6.3, November 2014. Cited in The Stanford Social Innovation Review and The Plan Journal among others.
- The Citizen Designer: A Cautionary Note, Developing Citizen Designers, February 2016. Listed on Design Observer's Required Reading for 2017 and reviewed on Dialectic.
- Dogs Are More and More Like Family To Us. Why Do Some Public Places Still Bar Them?, Washington Post, August 2017. Picked up by the Virginian-Pilot, WN.com, and more.